Friday, July 6, 2007

What, they want me to come BACK?

It's 0527 on Friday, the 6th of July. The AC and my ceiling fan are both on. The cat is somewhere, comatose as usual, the original four-legged energy saving device.

I thought for sure that the job interview was blown high wide and handsome. That and I have yet to meet a form that I couldn't screw up. This job application form had tiny boxes to write in. Made a complete dog's breakfast out of it and then had the interview. Told my bro-in-law that I screwed up and then to salve my angst, went and replaced the fascia out back. It was full of holes anyway. 16 bucks for a piece of No. 2 cedar, and I had to pick through the pile. Knots over 3" just won't do. Lowe's does nice service, and for a big box store, is pretty good, but the wood is questionable. Not their fault, our forests are just too "overgrazed".

Imagine my surprise when the recruiter emailed me back for a second interview. Still, not betting money on a successful outcome just yet, still too mindful of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as I have been good at. I am glad that the new pair of shoes weren't a complete waste of money.

The "green" house is in one of those weird stages where it's going from construction site to a home. The owners are in, but we still have a bunch of touch-up to do inside, rail caps on the porch and back-back deck, and the screens on the back porch. Working around owners on an unfinished house is something new. I'm very careful and try to knock out the interior stuff soonest but being a perfectionist at heart doesn't help. Some things like plastering and caulk have to stop at"good enough" and then you come back to it later to make it "better". A perfectionist just keeps on going and turns "good enough" into "worse". So far I haven't done that yet, but only by force of will. My kitchen wall by the stove is an example of a perfectionist run a-muck. It's been sanded and mudded and painted innumerable times and is now flat and smooth as glass. It stands out in a dwelling where the rest of the walls look like a topographical relief map of the moon complete with craters.

Our days are numbered at the "green" house anyway.....so close to done. The boss will move onto something else, I'll go into cube farming (Dilbert reference), and the owners will have their part of the American Dream, a well built house.

No comments: