Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Fourth of July, more "Brown" housework.

The carpenter bees riddled the gable fascia over my utility room so that's now underway on this fine July the Fourth. The old fascia has been pulled off and now I'm updating a blog with a large cat in my way as the Kilz primer dries. The utility room itself is built right on the deck.

Chop saw and coffee nearby. One of the perks of working at home for once. I can make coffee just as badly as Starbucks and do it a lot cheaper. The tool next to the cup is called a Squangle. It can be adjusted to match any angle and takes a lot of unnecessary science out of a project.

No, the new fascia isn't up yet. I like to paint anything that's going to be out in the open, even if it will be sitting behind the gable. Carpenter bees are amazing. They can eat their way into almost anything. I saw one that had burrowed into treated wood at the "Green" house. So, paint it all......

The siding is caulked and primed up near the roof. Another 19 minutes to go. The color of siding is called Sheffield Grey by Olympic. Soon as the primer is dry, that happens next. More pics later.

I'm baaaack. So is the cat. Typing around this furry monster can be interesting. Neighbor went up my ladder to my roof and cleaned out gutters on both mine and his. Good thing too, plenty rain here when it does. Cat now rumbling. Must be happy. When she's really happy she drools.

The new fascia in place. Back primed and the cut surfaces are painted as well. 8d hot dipped galvanized finish nails holding them in place. It's an 1" by 8" by 10', ripped to 6". Note the hammer waiting on the top of the ladder for the next victim. I cut a 45' angle for the joint and and had to add a leftover 1" by 6" to finish, since I misplaced my board-stretcher.

One coat of Kilz primer later. Finish coat this coming weekend, probably a decent exterior white semi-gloss.

No comments: