Friday, June 1, 2007

Working on and under Roofs.

June, the first day of. Adventure today in insulating the attic. I pushed that ahead so we can get a jump on next week and get as much knocked out as possible. Boss managed to get quite a few new people to help us finish. I also got to get some windowsills ready, or more properly the window stools ready for B. Also, the big MBR closet needs sanding, painting, and priming. I'm going to bring my chop saw over. It's a bit more portable then that ungainly monster that lurks in the hallway and that everyone trips over, squeezes past, and gets dragged on and off the back porch, bumping into what-not. Blasted painters want to start early at 0730 hours, the newest guy is coming at 0830 hours, and a truck full of insulation is also showing up in the morning. Zoo morning ahead.

Lot of work still to be done. The goal is to get enough of the house finished and a certificate of occupancy so they move in. At that point, all that will be left, is to get the back porch screened in, the railings capped, and the odds and ends done.

I got up on the roof of my place the other day. The chimney chase definitely got holes in it. Water just goes down the slope and right into it. The metal cap is thoroughly rusted as is all my neighbor's chimneys. I could just shoot foam into it for a very temporary repair and continue working from the deck up or do a permanent repair and then work from the deck up.

The leak of my neighbor's other house is, or was through the siding above my roof. The step flashing seems good and further investigation would involve tearing up my roof, so that ain't happening since I have no leaks. The splits and holes got caulked, and time permitting (yeah right), it will be touched up to match the paint. Pictures soon. Very temporary repair though, the cedar siding has had it. It needs total replacement and that's up to my neighbor.

No comments: