Saturday, April 14, 2007

Rotting Chimney, Brown House Blues.

Pictures soon.......

The chimney chase, originally of wood but now partly of mulch, was so rotten that its going to be a big repair. The rot even got into part of my rim joist. No biggee though. I spent a hundred bucks today on some treated wood and Simpson Strong-ties plus nails. The first project, which is partly done, is to beef up the back deck and make it independent of the cantilevered chimney structure. Which it mostly is, because that part of the chimney framing is no longer there. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, then that will be finished. I'm really glad I got gutters now. It makes a big difference and the water that used to pour off my roof and soak my siding now goes....away.

Next week is getting under the house proper and fixing the rim joist and the cantilevered chimney structure. It would be nice to tear off the chimney and be rid of it and the fireplace, but the HOA would get upset. Also, it's another real estate agent necessity.

The week after that, I finally get up to the first floor and start rebuilding the chimney itself. I really, really hope the fireplace insert won't have to come out. That would be ugly.

No comments: