Sunday, April 15, 2007

More Rotting Chimney (and house) Blues.

For some strange reason, I decided to tear off that weird white plywood box nailed to the underside of my deck under the chimney. What you are about to see is not pretty.



After I got nuts with the sharp end of a rip hammer and a sawzall. Yep, the previous owner was hiding something.


This is actually "supporting" the middle of my back deck. Actually, it's now the decking that carries most of the load to joists on each side of the chimney chase. Yikes. Still, it's holding my weight.



Note the wedge. I could slide it out with my finger tips.



All is not lost. I already doubled the joists on each side of the chimney chase. It will get a double hanger as soon as the rim joist and bottom plate gets fixed. I'm gonna to make those one solid, nailed, glued, screwed, and monolithic, block of treated wood. I'll add more nails too to the double joist. My arm was going to fall off at the end of the day. Enough nails to hold it for now.



Crappy picture, water dripping down my neck, but here it is. Joist hangers added, and the other end of a doubled joist. Deck feels much solider now, and that's with not having got to the cross joist yet. The ledger board was sneered at by yours truly, but is going back up anyway just for a little redundancy. This deck is definitely not today's code, if indeed it was remotely near code.



No comments: