Friday, March 9, 2007

Not throwing a brick through a window.

Well, I could be employed. Not sure really, otherwise I had qaulity time caulking siding yesterday. This is the first time I've seen Hardi-Plank in the raw, so to speak. Painted, it looks like wood siding, unpainted, it looks like textured wallboard. It's supposed to be like cedar when painted. Much better then the real thing, which is flammable and a favorite of carpenter bees and woodpeckers. (I have carpenter bees, my neighbor has the woodpeckers, and across the street, the end townhouse caught on fire and the wood siding burned like solid gasoline, spreading it to two more houses. Does it need mentioning the crap rots like crazy when wet?)

I was also setting nails and re-attached a piece of trim. Whoever installed the siding used nailguns and they were in a hurry. A big hurry. The evil of using subs these days.

The boss is pretty neat. The house is a "green" building. Also very traditional. The attic is actually framed out instead of trusses and it has what appears to my somewhat educated eye, load bearing joists under it. Most of the framing is actual wood instead of engineered stuff. No attic stairs though. Guess that would be too traditional. The front porch is an actual front porch, nice and deep instead of the afterthoughts that are tacked onto spec houses.

See how it goes.

No comments: