Sunday, March 25, 2007

The interim hammer

There I was, at Sears, hefting hammers, while a sales guy looks on in puzzlement as I try to explain what a good balance is. The nicest balance and feel of the lot was a 20 oz Vaughan Model 999fs. The head was milled with a waffle pattern though. Dog ears as we call hammer marks are bad enough. I finally settled on a Craftsman 16 oz rip hammer. The head was made by Vaughan but the handle is solid fiberglass. The balance is just wrong, but it's going to be for nail pulling and other not-nice things to do with a hammer.

My two Vaughan 99's will be here by the middle of the week. They will be the money makers. My old veteran is going to be sitting in a kitchen drawer for awhile. Saw some neat hi tech hammers that looked like they were designed by a marketing department. One had a slot in the head for setting nails. Still, a good balance and feel is everything and it didn't have that.

No comments: