Thursday, March 29, 2007

38 Minutes

In 38 minutes, I got to grab a shower and get to work. I'm a sub for now. Going to download both quarterly forms and send in the money. Need just a few more things, shop vac, and a decent tool pouch. I'm also going to build a portable tool bench slash work bench.

35 Minutes. If I decide to work for myself and decide I want to make ten bucks net, I need to charge about twenty. Five bucks for Uncle Sammy and Cousin State, Five bucks for the Insurance companies, and ten bucks for me. Or I could work for someone else, and they could do all that. Only problem is, that the economy is so soft, that I'd get about 9 bucks.

33 Minutes. The system if one wants to call it a system, is disadvantageous toward employing American workers. We cost too much. If I work for myself, I cost too much. Global economy can be a great thing if the playing field was level but the only open economy in the entire world is this one. There is no way anyone here could make a living wage and compete with someone in Vietnam or China doing the same thing for a buck an hour. In fact, the only jobs in the Ol' US of A with a hint of job security are the ones that require actual physical contact and/or communication.

27 Minutes. We also have a big problem with undocumented aliens. They work for cash and don't contribute tax wise. They take jobs from those who need it most, the lower middle class and blue collars. What we really need is a national identification scheme that can weed out those who don't belong here. Who even needs to go into the "Non, nod, and a wink." scheme that employers, especially construction industry types, use to hire illegals? Those guys need some serious fines and jail time.

21 Minutes. Get rid of the Green cards, and replace them with a provisional citizenship requirement, i.e., anyone who wants to work here has to show every intent of becoming a citizen. No more "guest" workers. Their welcome has been worn out for quite sometime.

17 Minutes. My boss is right. What we do need is a national ID tied into DNA and retina/fingerprint records. No ID, no work, no benefits, emergency services only, no collecting two hundred bucks and getting past go. Just a real fast ride to the nearest national border.

14 Minutes. A national language. English only is my suggestion. Or at the very least, English and Spanish Only, but then we would be like Canada which inflicts French on everyone in the place because of Quebec. I like Lowe's, really nice place to get what I need for my daily work, but everything is bilingual. This is America. English only.

11 Minutes. A residency requirement for non-citizens. In most countries, non-residents are required to register with the local law enforcement authorities. We need to do the same.

9 Minutes. Time to post and clean up the grammar.

No comments: