Saturday, May 26, 2007

Unwanted Mail Call.....or Paper Spam

Once again, I have been called on to contribute to the consumer economy, to do my duty and spend money. So, instead of just tossing and shredding (credit card offers must always be shredded), let's take a look.

Lumber Liquidators.......colour flyer, lotsa nice pictures and some guy named Ty Pennington. Who he? Ah, lets check the Wiki. ".......... is a carpenter, TV personality, and a former fashion model." Pass, don't need a floor right now, and don't like prices quoted as "low as".

Great Clips.......hair "cuttery"as opposed to a proper barber shop that has a spittoon on the floor. Last time, I said, "I want a haircut and I got money". Not polite but the cashier asked for the third time, my phone number. Still, least thematic of the hair slash and burn places.

Furniture Direct.......Expensive, overstuffed or ornate furniture, probably made in China. The "Home Theater" recliners, talk about couch potato-ism. Toss.

Pet Supermart......optic nerve straining flyer in yellow and red.... toss.

Food Lion.....nah, Kroger closer, but they are all the same, customer loyalty cards, prices, and all that. Toss.

Gerber's Life Insurance Company.....selling life insurance on infants and children. Really. All I got is a fat feline. Toss.

AARP Life Insurance Program......actually New York Life. They want me to get life insurance. Nah. My assets would more then cover the disposal of my corpus. Also some measly amount of "up to $15,000". Bet the premiums are way up there. Toss.

American Express Business Gold cards Rewards program.....wants me to get one of their cards and will reward me points. What are points, some new currency? I like the "pay now" system.....so much cheaper. Lotsa small print on the backside, like annual fee of forty bucks and they can do anything they want to me. Shred. Toss.

AT &T...... thanks me for "choosing" them. Actually they swallowed up Ma Bell South. Shred. Toss.

Pershing LLC....wants me to pay up for the privilege of owning a losing stock. Think I'll close it instead....save, call Vanguard.

Shopwise....... asks me if I've seen some missing kid that's 43 years old. Huh. Toss.

Countrywide Home Loans....informs me that mortgage rates are down and that I should refinance my ARM. Lie. MSNBC quote, "Rates on 30-year mortgages jumped to the highest level in five weeks.......". Also I have NO mortgage. Borrowing money in this economic climate is not a good idea. Pay off everything. Shred. Toss.

Looks like I'll be contributing to my business instead.


No comments: