Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Been A-while, Mental Midget Moment

It's been awhile since the last post. We are pushing hard at the Yellow house. Lots of painting, varnishing, last minute odds and ends. A really nice weekend, with a brush in my hand. Mental Midget Moment, do NOT put open bucket of paint next to bucket of water when cleaning up. Get two buckets of not-paint. Oh. Well. I went and got two gallons of Zinnzer water-based bullseye primer to fix that MMM.

Crusty old contractor looked at my place. He was visiting R across the street. First thing he said,"Where are the deck bolts?" I have 9 of em'. In a box in my living room along with the 2" by 12" that's going to hold them. Doing no good in a box, but no time so far to put them in. When he started in on my steps, I pointed out they weren't falling down and so enjoyed a lesser priority. They have big gaps than can entrap children between the steps and the rails. Still, I have no children.....that I know of.

He liked my cantilever, said it was o k but we do things different now. I agreed on that point. Since the cantilever was done way back when, it's legal. Still, the thing is very slapdash. I'm still shy on the added fasteners needed in the deck, but it's better then it was before. I repaid the helpful advice by giving them some water for R's car, a badly overheating convertible.

R's house has got some major mistakes in it. Since the laundry closet has a regular door, they hacked a big hole in the wall above and put two air return grills there. I looked at it and said, "What the ***k is that?" in wonderment. Privacy hardware everywhere, obviously the contractors got a deal. Place only needs passage locks in laundry and closets. The bath cabinets were swapped. No way a three footer is going by the toilet in the first bath. The cabinet above the fridge location was hung crooked. I could also tell that the carpet padding wasn't the good stuff. Lot of ceiling fans, all at upraised arm chopping height. I pointed out the really major stuff for him to take up with his builder.

Dentist today, short workday, really need some time away from that place.

No comments: