Saturday, May 19, 2007

Grouting, not Caulking.

Another Saturday to be spent at the green house. Another new body, J who seems like a decent guy, did nice work in grouting tile. Tile kitchen floor now wanted. At the time the house was framed, it was a vinyl floor that was wanted. So the house was framed for vinyl. Tile is heavier and requires a stiffer floor so it doesn't crack. Boss spent much time in the crawl space sistering up joists. Doesn't sound so hard until one realizes that there's already plumbing and electrical roughed in, and you have to work around it.

I'm running speaker wire, and just have a few feet to drop outside the inner porch wall for future speakers to be done. Had to be real careful since behind one of the places was a vent pipe and wiring. So I measured down from a vent and then did the same to the outside. On my drill, I put a mark that was the thickness of the siding, foam board, OSB sheathing and band joist. Worked out well. Missed everything I was supposed to. One of the waking nightmares of working on an almost finished house, is nailing or drilling or screwing through wires and plumbing.

The new immigration bill isn't even good, but it's all we are going to get. I disagree with the guest worker provision since we already have twelve million uninvited guests already. The H1B visa program expansion as well, since it's well known that Hi-tech companies are using that to get cheaper tech labor. Still, we do get a doubling of the border patrol force and a means of verifying legit people. In the long run, we can absorb twelve million people and their second generation, which is well extant, are Americans anyway. So you potential new citizens, if you work hard and are willing to play by the rules, come out of the shadows and join us. Always welcome.

Not working at the "brown" house. I have no time. My neighbor and I have to step flash my roof into his wall. Sunday perhaps I can borrow my ladder from my bro-in-law and scope it out. Arrgh, next time my house will be built by me with my own mistakes.

No comments: