Sunday, September 9, 2007

I spent how much?

Why so long?

It's been awhile. Just too busy to write. My last day at the Garage House was Friday. I'm still self-employed, but no longer a sub. Boss got a good worker in A anyway and he was trained as green builder, so all good. It's in the plastering stage, electrical mostly done. It's going to be a nice space, high board ceiling reminiscent of the old country stores, nice view out the windows, and last but not least, solar hot water. It's also going to be well insulated and an almost zero net load on the HVAC

Job Hunting and the Question

Job hunting goes well. A temp agency pinged me with an offer. I also passed it on as requested. Seeing a lot of self-employed though, wondering if that's the way to go. The jobs aren't too great as it is, so that might be why there are so many on their own.

The two not-so-cheap baths

I found a matching vanity to my half bath's on clearance but it looked like it got hit by a truck, so what I got is still white, but has three drawers instead of two and cost me 208 bucks as opposed to 168, less the tax. Still, cheap enough as it is. Lowes also sold me a relatively inexpensive white cast marble top, side strip, and enough trim to install behind the toilet location. The front bath is the current focus.

Last night the sheet vinyl was cut to size and fitted. Not bad for a first go. The bare spot behind the pipes is going to be under the vanity.
Then came time to glue it down. A little too much glue. After all was said and done, it took some time to get the excess out. The hammer is for those pesky staples that I didn't smack flat the first time.
I dragged the vanity upstairs and stuck it in the front bath. The first picture shows the vent being laid out on the toe kick, the second, cutting it out, and so on.



More work to be done in shifting the cold water line so it doesn't interfere with the drawers, silicone caulk for the faucet and sink drain, and getting as much done before tomorrow.

Much later in the afternoon.....

I got as far as getting the vanity in, top glued down, and installing the faucet. Nothing is hooked up yet. I also painted the baseboard. The baseboard will be built up out of some very nice clear 1" by 4" Yellow Pine (species Longleaf), an inch high base-cap and a narrow shoe.


Nothing like getting the first fixture in a room to boost morale. It's always in the "Are we there yet?" phase until that happens. Then it's, "Almost there.". A bit of a gap on the wall side of the top. What can one say if the place isn't plumb? Caulk will fix that. I got some cheap stuff but want to use the good stuff by General Electric instead. The drawers are staying out until everything is working.

This is my favorite bathroom faucet. Porcelain handles have a nice feel to them and having a separate control for hot and cold makes it easier to set a water temperature. What is also nice is the clearance under the spout. It also swivels from side to side to make filling large awkward containers easier.

Time to chill and clean up and get some food for the mind. See ya later, Gator.

No comments: