Saturday, October 13, 2007

Private or Public?

Private vs Public

That last job, the one that got thrown back, was by a privately held company. It seems that people who work for privately held companies don't get a very good deal compared to publicly held corporations. There is no "ownership", in the fortunes of the company beyond a paycheck. The employee is an asset, nothing more.

At Time Warner, it was different. Yeah, sure, Richard Parsons is the big dog who runs things, but I as an employee, owned a piece of it., and had my say during the stock meeting. I don't work for em' anymore, but I'm still a part owner. I still follow the fortunes of the company and still vote my shares.

I'm a privately held handyman business now. I am the business, and it's my actions that determine if it fails or succeeds. My conclusion, is that the only private business worth working for, is one's own.

Business in general

It's a bit callous, but my only concern about Blackwater LLC was, is it private or public, and if public, would it affect my mutual funds and investing? Thankfully, they are privately held. No effect on my holdings, which is a good thing.

Exports are up, but some people have been pointing out that our manufacturing base is, for the most part, gone. Still, a weak dollar that stays weak, will mean more local manufacturing for low value , high density items. Don't count on a decent blue collar wage though. There's a well known heavy equipment maker that starts people out at less then ten bucks an hour and there's no union to protect em'.

No comments: