Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How Dry I Am, or Cutting the Utility Costs

My gas bill was eighteen bucks, ten of which was for using their pipes. Not bad. Also the electric bill is of great interest. I went from a hundred dollars to sixty dollars. This current cycle, the AC has been kept off, except for two days. Despite having mostly florescent lighting, that too has been cut back quite a bit.

The water bill is what I'm really interested in. I've been conserving water use to see just how much less I can use. What brought this about was the two last water bills where there was a leaking toilet. That was about seven thousand and eight hundred gallons plus of some rather expensive water. Needless to say, all toilets have been repaired. Navy showers and all that too.

North Carolina has been under a nasty drought for a while. I'm in a place where it got upgraded from extreme to exceptional. If it gets worse, what do we call it then, outstanding?

Go to www.ncdrought.org to see the latest image showing how dry we are. The dark brown is "exceptional". I have to help my old boss tomorrow and the route takes me across Jordan Lake. Interesting to see how much lower it is. Governor Easley said we have a drought and that we should conserve, but being the apparatchik that he is, declined to do anything concrete.

Cary already has had mandatory conservation since 2005. The interesting thing, is that the water usage in Cary declined from twenty-six million gallons per day to seventeen million without any direction from the local officials at all. The other thing Cary does, is use processed waste water for watering, instead of dumping it in the rivers, so it's still green here. Rest of NC must hate us for being so good.

No comments: